Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Photos + Video = Flickr Awesomeness

Here's the deal, it's common knowledge that I love to take photos. It's very rare to see me without my camera. Whether it be at get togethers, parties or work, I hardly go anywhere without it. Well at the end of the day, I like sharing my photos with everybody. After all, my friends always want to see what photos I might be black mailing them with later, (Cough)Eric(Cough) lol. That's where Flickr comes in. For almost a year, Flickr has been the home for my thousands of photos, and it's been great. The thing is, once in a while, I might end up recording some video on my camera. So what can I do when I want to share that video? At first, I uploaded some on to Youtube, Myspace and Facebook, but it kind of sucked having my videos all over place. There was not much I can do since there's no place where I can have my photos and videos together, until now. For the last couple of months, rumors had been floating around the Internet that Flickr would soon be adding video. Of course, everybody loved the idea, if it were true. Well last week, that rumor was made a trumor when Flick announced on their blog that soon is now.

So video on Flickr, it's a dream come true right? Well some people didn't think so. The thing is, just like every other new app that appears online, Flickr video has it's limitations. These limits might change in the future, but for now, only pro members can upload video, but anybody can see them. Of course all videos have to be original content, but they can't be longer then 90 seconds or bigger then 150MB in size. You can still upload video longer then 90 seconds, but only the first 90 seconds will be seen. One good things is that there is no limit on how many videos you can upload. So if you want, you can upload that two hour wedding video. You would just have to spilt it up to 80 separate clips lol. Some people might have been upset with this, but I have no problem with it. I think it's works fine with what flick wanted to do. They don't want to be a Youtube clone, filled with video diaries, music videos and TV shows. They just wanted a place where people can have their videos along with their photos. That's exactly why I love the new Flickr, and I've been taking advantage of it, here's a taste from 4th of July 2006.





As you can see, you can also embed your videos anywhere you want. That's another cool feature I forgot to mention. Even thought all my videos are already in their respective albums, I tagged them with the word "Videos" so they can be easy to find. So if you wanna check out the rest of them, you can just go to my tags or you can just click here. Well, I hope you enjoy the new Flickr, I know I do.

No comments: